Directory listings, aka “online citations“, are helpful for your budding business in many ways. They allow potential customers to find more information about your company, like location, phone number, a link to your website, etc. These online directories are like searchable Yellow Pages, but they actually affect your Search Engine Optimization. So, our team at Lure Creative came up with some tips to clean up your listings, and effectively boost your SEO at the same time. But first it’s important to understand that these directories provide much more value than simply being found on another website. Citation Signals are one of the biggest ranking factors for search engines when determining which local result is most relevant. In order to make sure your site & company are ready to go to battle in search results you need NAP consistency, and a lot of it.
Claim Your Online Business Listing
Claiming a listing will communicate to Google and other search engines that you are a business and that all of the information listed is correct. Search engines like to show users the most relevant results to their search, which means if there is invalid or doubtful information about your business in your listing, it could drop to the bottom of the list, therefore hurting your SEO. Start claiming your listings by visiting each directory site you are listed on and searching for your business. If it comes up, there should be a link to claim it as your business. Follow the directions.
Make Sure To Fill Out Your Listing Profiles & Fully Optimize Them
Each online directory website functions a little differently. For example, some may allow you to add unlimited pictures, while others only let you upload a logo. Some directories may require a description of over 200 characters. Some directories may not let you leave a description at all. When creating or updating online directory listings for your company, it’s important to slow down a little and take the time to fill out your information fully and “leave no stone unturned” with the info that directory website will allow you to input. In addition to your NAP consistency (Name, Address, Phone), we recommend adding your business hours, social media profiles, website links, 200+ character business descriptions, and multiple photos when you can. Just like your website design and logo, make your online directory profiles accurately display how you want your business listed and represented online!
Update Business Information When Any Changes Happen
When you check your listings, make sure your information is up to date. An out of date listing could have an old address, invalid phone number, or previous logo. This lack of NAP consistency could make your business seem less credible to search engines, hurting your SEO efforts. Make sure all the phone numbers, website URLs, addresses, and logos are up to date and consistent with all listings. And also, make sure to go back and refresh your listings every few months with new services you may have added, a new logo you might be using, or anything else that might have changed.
Boost Your Listings for Local SEO & NAP Consistency Improvements
Don’t just copy and paste information from your website into your directory listings. Search engines, like Google, hate duplicate copy, and it can look like spam. Make sure the copy and written descriptions in your listings are in line with SEO best practices, meaning fresh, unique copy sprinkled with keywords.
For an easy way to keep all of your directory listings consistent and up to date, try one of our SEO-boosting services, Directory Power Listings Service. This unique tool allows our team to synch all of your company information on over 45 credible online web directories, as well as track them, easily update them and boost them!
Some Common NAP Consistency Issues
- Incorrect or outdated business information can come up in a variety of ways. Incorrect information can show up from errors such as typos or simply human error. However, more commonly these issues come from business changes. For example, when changing phone numbers it’s crucial to make sure you updated as many listings as possible. Inconsistent information sends mixed signals to search engines. This causes them to rank someone else higher who has more consistent information.
- Multiple listings and duplicate information can cause further trust issues with search engines. These duplicate business listings can come off as misleading to search engines. Your customers may also not be able to know which profile to leave a review on. You also risk an outdated business profile showing up more than the one you’ve put work into.
- Unclaimed and unfinished citations are typically the root of all business listing mix-ups. These will pop-up as data gets shared between different directories. This is why business listings are often not a one-and-done SEO effort and maintenance is often required. In short, it’s important to complete & claim citations so that you can prevent duplicates as well as ensuring the right information is getting shared!
We Make It Easy . . .
- Saves you days of online headaches
- Get found on the web’s top directories
- Creates powerful backlinks for SEO
- Change your info across the web at once
- Load videos & photos for self-promotion
- We optimize copy/images for SEO