Lure Creative is a full-service marketing company in Kansas City. We help small to medium-sized businesses Get Found & Be Known. In our adventures, we’ve found that many small to medium sized-business owners have questions about marketing, marketing budgets, and just what it takes to grow their business in this digital/online world. We have answers! So we decided to try to answer some of those questions in an ongoing series of blog posts. Part 11 of our Small Business Marketing Questions Answered series focuses on a common question:
What’s the Best Social Media Channel to Reach My Target Audience?
Did you hear the social media channels are going to merge? Yes, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook are combining forces and the new channel will be called YouTwitFace. Okay, that’s not true. It’s just a joke. But seriously, social media can be a bit hard to keep up with. It seems like a new channel pops up every few months. How do you know, as a small business, if you should be including social media in your marketing, and if so, which channels are important to your target audience? We took a look at the latest social media stats with regard to demographics and usage and summed it up in this quick overview. Here is our nutshell version of the social media landscape with regard to who uses what. We hope this helps you narrow your choices and focus your marketing efforts in the right place:
Facebook – Facebook still remains the most-used and engaged-with social platform.
- # of monthly active users: 2.7 billion
- Largest age group: 25-34 (26.3%)
- Gender: 44% female, 56% male
- Time spent per day: 38 minutes
Instagram – second largest network after Facebook. Shares ad platform
- # of monthly active users: 1 billion
- Largest age group: 25-34 (33.1%)
- Gender: 57% female, 43% male
- Average time spent per day: 29 minutes
Twitter – up-to-the-minute nature makes it a prime place to share content and drive discussions, but advertising is still tricky.
- # of daily active users: 187 million
- Largest age group: 30-49 (44%)
- Gender: 32% female, 68% male
- Time spent per day/week: 3.53 minutes per session
LinkedIn – older, primarily B2B audience, but millennials make up ¼ of users.
- # of total users: 738 million
- Largest age group: 46-55
- Gender: 51% male, 49% female
- 63% of LinkedIn users access the network monthly, and 22% weekly.
Pinterest – predominantly middle-aged females with a high earning base, but recent increase in Gen Z and Millennials.
- # of monthly active users: 400+ million
- Largest age group: 30-49
- Gender: 78% female, 22% male
- Time spent per day: 14.2 minutes
TikTok – younger user base, but growing among adults
- # of monthly active users: 100 million
- Largest age group: 18-24
- Gender: 59% female, 41% male
- Time spent per day: 45+ minutes
Snapchat – top teen network with significant growth in 2020
- # of monthly active users: 265 million
- Largest age group: 13-34 (75%)
- Gender: 58% female, 40% male
- Time spent per day: 26 minutes
YouTube – the go-to video network, Brands still have a lot of work to do on the platform, finding a balance between entertainment and advertising.
- # of monthly active users: 2 billion
- Largest age group: 15-25
- Gender: 72% of all female internet users and 72% of all male internet users
- Time spent per day: 41.9 minutes among viewers 18 and older
These are the latest social media stats for 2021. For more details, see the full report at Sprout Social. At Lure, we can help you manage your social media and target the right audiences to increase brand awareness and sales. If you’d like to learn more about social media, we’d love to chat!
If you think it’s time to take a smarter approach to online marketing, give us a call. We can help with website design, SEO, social media, and much more. Pretty much, any kind of digital marketing services you need, we can help with. Feel free to contact us at Lure Creative. We’d like to be your marketing partner and help you Get Found and Be Known.